Boatmen's Reunion Buttons

Title

Boatmen's Reunion Buttons

Subject

Buttons--Collectors and collecting
Susquehanna Canal Company (Pennsylvania)

Description

In 1915, the first reunion for boatmen and other canal workers was held in Rolling Green Park. Every year a new button was produced, bearing a photo of mules or boatmen's captains. The buttons were sold for twenty-five cents to help fund the reunion. The reunions transformed throughout the years with a location change to the recreational field in Port Trevorton and a conversation to a reunion of the sons of the boatmen. The last reunion was held in 1956. This is the largest known collection of canal buttons in existence. Other reunion memorabilia can be found in the National Canal Museum in Easton.

Date

1915-1956

Coverage

Selinsgrove, PA

Type

Image

Format

image/jpeg

Citation

“Boatmen's Reunion Buttons ,” Pennsylvania History Harvest, accessed November 18, 2018, http://pahistoryharvest.com/items/show/591.

Output Formats