J.H. Kreitzer Pepper Box

Title

J.H. Kreitzer Pepper Box

Subject

Grocers
Wooden boxes
Milton, PA

Description

James Henry (J. H.) Kreitzer purchased stock in James Buoy's grocery store and it operated under the name Buoy & Kreitzer from 1881-1883. After 1883, Kreitzer became the sole owner of the business. J. H. Kreitzer Wholesale Grocer was located at 195 S. Front Street in Milton. In the 1890's, expansion continued with the addition of a warehouse and wholesale candy store (The Kreitzer Wholesale Candy Company).

This wooden box would have been used to hold and display pepper at J. H. Kreitzer Wholesale Grocer. The product would be scooped out and distributed to the customer.

Date

1900

Creator

Kreitzer, John Henry

Coverage

Milton, PA

Source

Information about J.H. Kreitzer was drawn from the Milton History website:
http://www.miltonhistory.org/tng/getperson.php?personID=I1064&tree=miltonfamilies

Files

Benion_Bub-Pepper Box-Side01.jpg
Benion_Bub-Pepper Box-Side02.jpg
Benion_Bub-Pepper Box-Side03.jpg
Benion_Bub-Pepper Box-Side04.jpg

Citation

Kreitzer, John Henry, “J.H. Kreitzer Pepper Box,” Pennsylvania History Harvest, accessed November 19, 2017, http://pahistoryharvest.com/items/show/257.